Photo by Reverie Photography
This podcast is funded entirely by supporters on Patreon.
You can pledge as little as $1 a month to keep this podcast advert free.
– – –
Meet Andrea Debbink
Andrea Debbink is an editor, writer, stylist—and habitual daydreamer—who has spent the past decade working in publishing. By day, she’s a magazine and book editor at American Girl where she specializes in nonfiction content that empowers girls to explore their creative potential. Her new book from American Girl, Spark: A Guide to Ignite the Creativity Inside You, is available now wherever books are sold. When Andrea’s not creating for work, she’s probably creating for fun or exploring the outdoors with her hiking boots or kayak.
Here’s a peek at Andrea’s new book from American Girl, Spark: A Guide to Ignite the Creativity Inside You.
Click here to enter the giveaway.
We talk about…
- growing up in a reading family
- spending time outside as a kid
- love of history
- studying journalism & history
- internship at American Girl
- editing magazines
- growth of digital media
- changes in the world of magazines
- working as a lifestyle editor
- developing & writing magazine features
- styling photo shoots
- working for a kid’s magazine
- renaissance in children’s illustration
- planning a magazine issue
- working in a collaborative environment
- the team of people who are involved in creating a book
- four stages of the creative process
- creativity does not have to be artistic
- diversity and representation
- the writing process
- the challenges kids face when creating
- criticism vs. critique
- love of travel
- mountain climbing
- writing sprints
Books from this episode…
- Spark: A Guide to Ignite the Creativity Inside You by Andrea Debbink
- Meet Felicity by Valerie Tripp
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon
- Meet Kirsten by Janet Beeler Shaw
- I Was Anastasia by Ariel Lawhon
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- Braving the Wilderness by Brene Brown
Links from this episode…
- American Girl Magazine
- American Girl Books & Dolls
- Art Director, Dan Nordskog
- Illustrator, Emily Balsley
- Girl Scouts
- Girl Guides
- Who’s That Girl, features from Andrea’s portfolio
- Crafts & Recipes, from Andrea’s portfolio
- Magic Lessons, Ep. 12 with Brene Brown (on art scars)
- 14ers (Colorodo’s Tallest Mountains)
- Castle Peak (not a true class 2)
- Mt. Democrat
- Mt. Cameron
- Mt. Quandry
- Hill Top
- Anne Hathaway’s Cottage
- L. M. Montgomery
Feel free to pin this quote or grab it as a mobile wallpaper.
If you enjoyed today’s episode I would love to hear what you thought in the Kindle Curiosity FB group.
If you’d like to support Kindle Curiosity without becoming a patron
you can subscribe, rate & review wherever you listen to your podcasts.