Crystals in Art Exhibit
I had the pleasure of attending a media preview of Crystal Bridges new art exhibit this week. I really enjoyed how crystal specimens were shown alongside artworks and historical artifacts. There is a fascinating range of objects in this exhibit including local crystals, sculpture, photography, painting, mixed media, video, and more.
Quartz is the official state mineral of Arkansas and is known as the “Quartz Crystal Capital of the World.” Commercial mining began in 1904 and many of the specimens are local to Arkansas. Many of these are grand in scale and one was positioned into space with machinery as it is too heavy to move manually. The crystal specimens truly hold their own alongside more traditional artworks and merit careful examination.
Curator Lauren Haynes has a gift for combining work by well known artists in conversation with artists of today. Moving through the exhibit you will encounter works that are inspired by crystallic form including pieces by artists such as Albrecht Dürer, Picasso, and Andy Warhol alongside newer works. Some artists use crystal as a material, some have grown crystals themselves to create unique sculptures, and others have taken inspiration from crystallic properties.
While the exhibit is on show there are also several related events including:
- Arkansas Crystal Showcase with Avant Mining, Friday, October 11 through Sunday, October 13, 10 am to 6 pm
- Adult Workshop » Aluminum and Patina Painting with Miya Ando, Saturday, October 12, 1 to 5 pm
- Distinguished Speaker Series » Marina Abramovi?, Wednesday, October 30, 7 to 8 pm
- Film Screening » Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Wednesday, November 6, 7 to 9 pm
- Afterschool Art Class » Crazy for Crystals!, Thursday, November 7, 14, 21, 4 to 5:30 pm
- Homeschool Friday Fun » Crazy for Crystals!, Friday, November 8, 15, 22, 2 to 3:30 pm
- Spotlight Talk » Light and Space artist Gisela Colon, Friday, November 8, 7 to 8 pm
- Discover the Grounds » Arkansas Crystals with Tom Paradise, Saturday, November 9, 10 to 11:30 am
- Adult Workshop » Mixed Media, Alexis Arnold, Sunday, November 10, 1 to 5 pm
- Art by the Glass » Colorful Crystal Canvas, Friday, November 15, 6:30 to 8:30 pm
- Arkansas Crystal Trunk Show with American Gem Company, Saturday, November 30, 10 am to 6 pm
- Preschool Playdate » Preschool Rocks, Thursday, December 12, 11:30 am to 2 pm
- Studio Squad » Geode Painting(Ages 11-13), Saturday, December 14, 4 to 5:30 pm
Image: Alexis Arnold Smithsonian Nature Guide: Rocks and Minerals, 2019 Book, borax 9 1/2 × 8 1/2 × 6 in. Courtesy of Crystal Bridges.